Halloween season is here! While your family plans costumes, visits the pumpkin farm and enjoys moonlit hayrides, it's easy to lose track of the amount of sugary caramel apples, apple cider and pumpkin donuts your family is ingesting. Add in the Halloween candy loot, and the season turns into a sugar overload.
There are healthier alternatives to satisfy your sweet tooth and enjoy the flavors of the season. These three pumpkin smoothies can be made ahead of time and are easy enough that your little ghosts and goblins can help!
Not to mention, pumpkins are super nutritious. It's not difficult to make your own pumpkin puree, but it can be time-consuming. If you go the canned route, be careful to choose 100% canned pumpkin. Pumpkin pie filling (which is usually shelved right next to 100% canned pumpkin) contains a lot of added sugar. One cup of canned pumpkin boasts:
Over 100% of:
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
10% or more of:
- Vitamin E
At least 5% of:
- Vitamin B-6
- Pantothenic acid
Pour them into your Squeasy for a mess-free and nutritious treat!
Dairy-Free Creamy Pumpkin Smoothie
(from Super Healthy Kids http://www.superhealthykids.com/dairy-free-creamy-pumpkin-smoothie/)
- 1 1/2 cup – almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 cup – Coconut milk yogurt, plain (if dairy isn't an issue, use Greek yogurt)
- 1 cup – pumpkin, canned
- 2 teaspoon – maple syrup, pure
- 1 teaspoon – pumpkin pie spice
- 1 medium – banana
- Blend ingredients together until smooth.
- Add ice as well if a cold, frothy shake is desired.
Pumpkin-Apple Breakfast Smoothie
(from Kristine's Kitchen http://kristineskitchenblog.com/pumpkin-apple-breakfast-smoothie/)
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp. old-fashioned oats
- ¼ cup canned pumpkin
- ¾ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 medium apple, cut into pieces (I used honey crisp and left the skin on)
- ½ banana, sliced and frozen
- ½ cup milk (almond, soy, cow's, etc. – whatever you prefer)
- ⅛ tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 6 ice cubes
- Place oats in blender and blend for about 30 seconds until finely chopped. Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Serve immediately.
Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
(from Simple Vegan Blog http://simpleveganblog.com/pumpkin-pie-smoothie/)
Serves: 4 cups
- 1 cup ice (150 g)
- 2 cups cashew milk (500 ml)
- 1 cup raw pumpkin (diced) (175 g)
- 1 banana
- 4 dates
- 1 or 2 cloves
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp ground ginger
- Place all the ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth.